Drilling Program At Lizar, Base Metal Property To Commence

TORONTO, ONTARIO August 14, 2007 Noront Resources Ltd. (“Noront”)(TSX Venture: NOT) and Freewest Resources Canada Inc. (Freewest, symbol FWR:TSX-V) are pleased to announce the commencement of the first phase of diamond drilling on their Lizar gold – base metal property (the property) located in Northwestern Ontario. Straddling the Kabinakagami greenstone belt this 504 claim unit property covers an area of 81 square miles and is situated in Lizar, Brekenridge, Nameigos and Mosambik townships. Thunder Bay lies 500 km to the west and the Hemlo gold mining operations are located 90 km to the west near Marathon, Ontario. 
 
Freewest has contracted with Forage Orbit Garant Drilling S.E.N.C. of Val d’Or , Quebec to drill a minimum of 1,500 metres of NQ sized core in at least six holes. The drill is currently mobilizing to the property to commence drilling within a week. 
 
Noront may earn a 60% interest in the Lizar property by expending $1,000,000 in work over a three year period. Noront is committed to expending a minimum of $400,000 in the first year. Freewest is the operator of the project and upon Noront earning its 60% interest; a joint venture will be formed with Freewest owning the remaining 40% interest in the property. 
 
Over the previous five years, Freewest has discovered numerous high grade gold occurrences and outlined a number of base metal targets. The aim of this program is to test the gold and base metal targets in the central and southwest portions of the property which have never been drilled. In the northeastern portion of the property the company is following up a single historical drill hole that was reported to have yielded elevated nickel and palladium values over a 3 metre interval. (see Noront Resources Ltd. news release dated June 5, 2007, visit www.norontresources.com).

norontresourceDrilling Program At Lizar, Base Metal Property To Commence