Noront Resources acquires, explores and develops mineral properties with a focus on the Ring of Fire in Northwestern Ontario. We explore for base and precious metals, including nickel, copper, platinum group metals, chromite, iron, titanium, vanadium, gold, and silver.
Eagle’s Nest, Blackbird and Black Thor
Noront currently has three near-term development projects in Ontario:
- We hold a 100% interest in Eagle’s Nest, one of the largest, undeveloped, high-grade nickel sulphide deposits in the world. Eagle’s Nest has positive project economics and is supported by an independent feasibility study.
- Our 100% owned Blackbird chromite discovery is located less than 1 km from Eagle’s Nest. It is a significant global chromite resource and part of the Ring of Fire chromite discoveries located in the James Bay Lowlands region of Northern Ontario.
- Our 100% owned Black Thor chromite deposit is located 8 km to the northeast of Eagle’s Nest and is the largest chromite discovery in the Ring of Fire.
Noront also has a 70% interest in the Big Daddy chromite deposit, a 100% interest in the Black Label deposit, an 85% interest in the McFaulds copper-zinc occurrence an a 75% interest in the Butler base metal property.
Our goal is to establish commercial production at Eagle’s Nest three years following permitting, and to use the estimated $150 to $200 million in annual cash flow to develop our chromite assets and fund future exploration in the Ring of Fire. This development will be done in true partnership with local First Nations, contractors, suppliers and communities of Northern Ontario.
Ferrochrome Production Facility
Noront has a vast resource of chromite in the Ring of Fire in Northwestern Ontario and is planning to mine this chromite and build a Ferrochrome Production Facility (FPF) to process it. Noront has partnered with Algoma Steel on the use of a brownfield site and associated logistical support in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. We have established a Master Services Agreement with Hatch to support development of the chromite business. Our FPF will be an expandable ferrochrome smelting facility that receives ore/concentrate from our Ring of Fire chromite mines and produces ferrochrome for the North American stainless-steel market.
Consolidation in the Ring of Fire
Since 2015 Noront has been working to consolidate its land position in the Ring of Fire. With the acquisition of Cliffs’ Chromite and VMS assets in 2015, and MacDonald Mines’ VMS and Ni-Cu-PGE assets in 2016, Noront now controls the majority of the claims in the Ring of Fire including:
- 22 of the 26 significant mineral discoveries;
- 7 of 9 NI 43-101 compliant resources; and
- 2 of 2 positive feasibility stage projects.
Noront also holds numerous base and precious metal occurrences including Eagle Two (Ni-Cu-PGE), Blue Jay (Ni-Cu-PGE), Butler (Cu-Zn), Triple J (Gold), and Thunderbird (Ti-V).
Noront is committed to developing and exploring in the Ring of Fire. By increasing our land holdings we believe we are well positioned for future exploration success.